Sunday, May 11, 2014

20-time Post #4

We had a home meet last Monday against Flint Powers. An illness has been going around on our team so a few of our runners were not able to participate. It was brought to my attention by my assistant coach that we were short one sprinter, so I jumped on the opprotunity and quickly rushed to my head coach to ask if I would be able to take the runner's place in the 200, and he said yes!!! I was super nervous, becuase when i got up to the starting line all the girls were getting out starting blocks. I only practiced with starting blocks once so I wsn't comfortable using them yet in an actual race. But the funny thing is, I WON! Yes, I won my very first 200 race in a time of 29.07 seconds. I am still in complete shock as to how that happened, but I couldn't be happier! When i crossed the finish line, the boys head coach yelled over to my coach, "I think you found your new 200 runner!"
                  After that race, my coach has now been referring to me as a sprinter. I still continue to run long distance relays. But I now have been participating in the sprinting workouts rather than the long distance workouts. I hope to soon learn how to do sprinting hand-off's for relay's, because they are A LOT more stressful than long distance relay hand-off's. I also hope to practice using the blocks more. My mom used to be a really good sprinter when she was in high school, so she gives me a lot of tips and tricks on how to use them. She also told me that using starting blocks can lower your time by as much as 3 seconds! That's an insane amount of time taken off just by getting a good start.

Below are pictures of me running the 200 and about to start the 200
     


 

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk with you at the project fair. You looked prepared and professional! I hope you enjoyed your sprint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're like Sonic the Hedgehog
    Gotta go fast
    I don't know what a 200 is since the only exercise I do is go from my room to the fridge and back but it sounds hard, so congrats on the win

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY ROBYN. It's so awesome that you won and were able to prove to your coach that you could do it! :D

    ReplyDelete