Thursday, June 5, 2014

Final Blog- Reflection

1                          For my 20-Time project I hoped to accomplish turning myself into a really good 200 meter sprinter and run it in a time of 30 seconds or less. I had always been a good long distance runner, but I always wondered how good I could be at the other track and field events. I ended up accomplishing much more than I ever thought I could. I won my very first 200 race, and also had the honor of getting a spot on the 4x2 relay team at Valley’s. My PR at the end of the year was 27.0 seconds; being the best on the team.
                After I started sprinting, my long distance times had been improving immensely. Instead of just doing long distance workouts at practices, I was switching off between sprinting workouts and long workouts. My mile time went from 6:04 to 5:49 by the end of the season. This is because when I got to the last 200 meters of the mile, I would get the urge to start sprinting instead of just jogging it in. My coach saw this helped me, so he started making the long distance runners do the practices I was doing, and it really helped them too! It also inspired others on the team to try new events they had never done before. I can use what I learned from this experience for when I volunteer with the Jefferson Middle School track team. I can help young runners find the event they will most enjoy and be best at. 
                  It was very difficult to get my coach to let me become a sprinter at the start. I was also AWFUL at using starting blocks. I spent so much time after practice out on the track practicing with them, they just felt really uncomfortable to me. When I would get up from them, I felt like I was going to fall on my face (which is what it’s supposed to feel like) but I did not like it. When I ran the 200 for my second time at regionals, I decided to try the blocks, because everyone else was using blocks and I wanted to look like a legit sprinter too. Not a good idea. I’m pretty sure everyone could tell I was a long distance runner at heart because of how awkward I looked bursting out of them, oh well. Guess I need to keep practicing!
                 I learned that in order to succeed at something, you can’t give up, ever. I never gave up begging my coach to put me in the 200, and I’m so happy for that. I also have gained more respect for the sprinters of the team because I now know that sprinting is not as easy as it looks, same with using starting blocks. For me, the roadblocks didn’t make the project stressful. I just kept working at it, and even though I never really got the hang of starting blocks, I enjoyed every moment of practicing with them. 
                  I would consider my 20-Time project as one of the biggest successes of my life so far. I accomplished so much more than I ever thought I could. It’s been such a great experience practicing with a new group of runners and having an official spot on a relay team running the best leg. I could not be more proud of myself and my team for being so open to teaching me everything they know about the 200.
                It's been a great year, and I can't wait to continue with it next year. Thank you for tracking my progress and anyone who has helped me succeed, I couldn't have done it without your help and support!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice that your continuing with your goal, I wish you the best of luck

    ReplyDelete